Is a tree on your property bothering you? If so, don’t make hasty decisions, such as having it removed right away. There are a few things that you must consider. Or you could call a professional like Tree Services Annapolis to get the opinion of a professional arborist on the best way to go.
Why Should We Be Careful With Tree Trimming and Removal?
Trees are living things. They may even have a history that cannot be easily replaced. So, think about how you can save it first. If the whole tree is not the problem, then perhaps trimming or pruning may work. Also, huge trees take years to get to their current size. Are you sure you want to remove this source of shade?
Most preferred trees also grow very slowly. So, you have to make careful decisions as to what you want to do with them. There are some trees, such as silver maples, that grow quickly but whose roots can potentially damage sidewalks and patios.
In the case of infestations, you need to decide between completely removing the tree and treating it so that it can survive without further damage.
Tree Trimming Versus Tree Pruning
Most of the time, all you need to do is to get rid of a few branches here and there. This is why we are looking at the possibility of tree trimming or tree pruning. Which one should you pick?
- You go with tree trimming if your reason for getting rid of overgrown parts of the tree and getting a desirable shape. Trimming is also done on hedges, and shrubs. Trimming can be done once or twice annually. Hedge trimmers can not only be used for their intended purpose but also for trimming shrubs and trees.
- By appearance, it may seem as if you are doing the same thing with pruning. However, pruning is done when you need to get rid of dead branches or parts. This is to avoid disease from spreading to otherwise healthy parts of the tree.
- You also open up the tree and make the foliage less dense to allow more air to circulate, thereby reducing the chance of fungus and other diseases that like a lot of moisture.
- Annual pruning should be done.
- This should facilitate better growth instead of harming the tree.
Both trimming and pruning can help you with visibility and safety. Overgrown or diseased branches may be blocking your view. The two practices may also be used to remove hazards before a storm.
How Often Do You Trim or Prune?
You ideally prune trees once or twice a year. However, the best thing to do is to consider the type of plant species. You may need an expert to help you out with the information.
What Should You Use to Prune?
Shears may also be used, but they are better suited to pruning trees. Other tools that you can use to prune trees are hand and/or lopping shears. For thick branches, you may even need a saw.
Should You Hire a Professional?
If you believe you have the right materials and know what should be done, then you may proceed with caution. A professional tree service provider, however, should be able to provide you with a safe trimming or pruning. It can also be there for you when the need becomes a little more substantial, such as having the tree completely removed. Sometimes, you have to admit that the tree cannot be saved. Of course, a professional arborist should be able to help you decide.
- Make a quick decision: Yes, you have to make the decision, but you have to make it quick. Extra-hanging and low-hanging branches can pose a danger to you, your family, and anyone passing by your area. They can also cause significant damage to property during a storm.
- Read reviews about tree service providers. Ask people you know about the services that they have used.
- Go for a tree service provider with qualifications. You don’t want to spend extra for the possible damage that an inexperienced one may incur. A certified arborist will also determine what should be done to your trees, and even to your whole yard.
- Get informed about the tree service provider’s insurance. Do they have a policy that covers possible damage and injuries that may occur because of their task?
- Get a contract. Make sure that the contract is clear about what they should be doing to your trees and what will happen if they are not successful or have caused more damage. The contract should show that they are going to be in charge of waste disposal, as well. You don’t want to be scrambling for a truck to dispose of the stumps and the trimmed branches.
Should You Completely Get Rid of a Tree?
If your tree is just almost wholly dead, then there is no reason to keep it. It destroys the rest of the living organisms in the area. Moreover, it can pose a danger to your family, beyond just being an eyesore. Your tree removal service may also advise you whether you should completely get rid of your tree. This is why it is essential to hire someone qualified to do the job. You don’t want people just to tell you what you want to hear. They must command a specific knowledge that will give you the best choices and options.
Should You Dare Cut Your Trees on Your Own?
Of course, some homeowners will think of this possibility. This will save a lot of money. However, if you have not done this before, you may cause more damage. Think about professional tree removal services. Most of them have insurance that covers any damage they may cause. They have thought of the possibility that this can happen. It should likely happen to someone who has no experience in tree trimmings and removals.
So, the short answer is “no.” There is just too much to consider: whether you are making the right decision, where the branches will fall, whether you have the right equipment, etc.